Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Home

I recently watched the movie Away We Go (see trailer here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1176740). It is a beautiful and hilarious story about a young couple expecting their first child who travel around the U.S. in search of the perfect place to plant roots and start their family. Through numerous adventures with family members and friends they finally begin to define "home" in their own terms. Not only is it an awesome film, I totally related to it (minus the whole expecting a child part).

At this point in my life, home is redefined almost daily. Home is a small town in Southern Illinois. It's a house on E. 68th Street in Louisiana. It's a school perched atop a hill. My life has taught me this: home is not one single place; home is where the heart is (as cliche as that phrase is). As I go about my adventures, I leave behind a piece of my heart. As my beloved friends go out and change the world, pieces of my heart go with them also. And each place which holds a piece of my heart becomes home.

For a long time my heart felt unrest because it longed for a home it couldn't find. Some people have one home, with roots as deep as the oak tree in the front yard of my parent's house. The more think about this concept, the more clearly I understand that it is not for me. Yes, sometimes I wish my family was as close-knit and around to show up in mass for everything like the Cottons. Yes, there are days I crave a home-cooked meal and a place on the couch. But then I remember how blessed I am; I have homes all across the United States, across the world.

"Where we love is home—home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.”

- Oliver Wendell Holmes



My life is not ordinary, neither is my home.
And I hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

megan kennedy said...

I understand.

Love you.

katiekathleen said...

Isn't that the truth!
- Katie

 
Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.