Monday, May 10, 2010

War and Hymnody

As we all nervously flipped through our 8 page study guide, the discussion turned to the effects of the 1940s on American hymnody. (Don't worry, I will spare you all the boring details about Louis F. Benson and ecumenical use.) I sat, quietly scribbling notes thinking about how it will be a complete miracle if I pass this final when her words pulled me back to reality.

There have been very few years in my lifetime that the U.S. has not been at war with someone.
We don't need to get into my views on war or anything of that sort, but I would like to share with you my reaction to this statement:
....How sad.
Bare with me for a just a moment as I share a bit of Christian hymnody with you....
Back to the effects of the 1940s on American hymnody: There was a shift in the 1940s American hymnody because of one thing------war. On the morning of August 6, 1945, the Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It was then that the shift in American hymnody took place; American hymn writers began asking themselves how the U.S., the so-called "Christian nation" could commit such an atrocity.
We should be asking ourselves that today.

No comments:

 
Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.