Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stranger in a Familiar Land

Throw away your misconceptions. There's no walls around heaven. There's no codes you gotta know to get in. No minutemen or border patrol...The failure keeps you humble. And leads us closer to peace. Heaven. What the hell is heaven? Is there a home for the homeless? Is there hope for the hopeless.


So I'm home...for a funeral.

Sad as it may sound, I feel as though funerals bring me home more often than anything else. Today will be spent surrounded by my father's side of the family at my Uncle Mike's funeral; all morning I have tried to mentally prepare myself to be approached by people whom I'm apparently related to and be told how much I've grown up. Of course I've grown up, like it or not biology gets us all. Following hours of uncomfortableness, there will be a long drive with my immediate family through which I will put on my iPod and ignore the world and I will return to the couch I sleep on in the room that is no longer mine, surrounded by the 3 Rubbermaids, 2 duffel bags, and 3 boxes that contain my whole life and everything I own.

Mom: "Since you're home, why don't we have everyone over on Sunday for your birthday?"
Me: "Great." (laced with sarcasm she does not pick up on)

So within 48 hours I will see every member of my extended family, both sides. Don't misunderstand me, I love my family...but this is too much.


Oh, the joys of being "home".
...at least the laundry is free.

No comments:

 
Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.